Hi My fabulous People,
I’ll be honest with you, I’ve never been a super huge fan of Darey Art Alade, I am familiar with a few of his hits like Escalade, Don’t Let Me know and more. I like him, but I don’t stan for him. So when I was given tickets to his Love Like A Movie Concert which went down last Sunday at the Eko Hotel & Suites, I’ll be honest I only went for Kim Kardashian, who was billed to co-host the event.
My plan was to spot Kim on the red carpet, hopefully get a picture or two with her for my mom (who is a huge Kardashian fan…please don’t judge her), but as the best laid plans usually go, none of this happened. I got there at 7.30pm, thinking Naija time…the red carpet probably won’t start till 8pm. But Kim had already walked the red carpet, so I couldn’t get my picture with her I almost shed Kris Jenner worthy tears.
The show kicked off just a little after 8 pm, the lights dimmed & Kim Kardashian walked on stage in her black leather ensemble and said a total of 17 words “Hey Naija, I’m Kim Kardashian, I’m so happy to be here, you’re in for a night you won’t forget” And she left…that was it! Gbam! From there she packed her bags and headed straight for the airport to catch her flight back to LA. That’s what she reportedly got paid N78 Million Naira ($500,000) for?! Clearly I’m in the wrong business.
I had planned to be at the event for just 20 minutes, cos I was expecting the standard Nigerian concert, but it was so good I stayed till the curtains came down. Over 2 hours of pure SPECTACULARITY (yes! I made that word up…LOL!)
See my 5 Notable moments from Darey’s “Love Like A Movie”
1) Kim Kardashian didn’t do s**t: Excuse my language but she didn’t do anything worth $500,000, it was such a spectacular show that at the end of it no one even remembered she had briefly graced the occasion. I understand why he added her to the bill though, cos I’ll be honest I only went for Kim, and I’m sure there are many people who feel the same way (they just might not admit it, cos they are trying to be cool…lol). So inviting Kim definitely brought people through the door, but it the spectacular show he gave that kept people there and won him new fans. Even though I’ve always appreciated his music it’s always been in passing. However after the awesome show I witnessed on Sunday, I was so enthralled I had to buy 2 of his cd’s yesterday.
2) Waje is the most under rated artiste in Nigeria: Singer Waje who has been on hits like P-Square‘s Do Me & M.I‘s One Naira performed two duets with Darey, A Whole New World & Endless Love, and this woman’s voice, so soulful, so powerful, it gave me chills! I do not understand why she isn’t as big as the Tiwa Savage. Why she doesn’t have an album out? More people need to hear Waje’s music, she’s on par with the Jennifer Hudson’s of this world…her pitch is so perfect!
3) Kaffy is an AMAZING dancer: I mean we all know this, but trust me you can’t appreciate how good she really is from her gazillion video appearances. At the concert she performed an amazing contemporary dance solo while Darey sang “Not The Girl” and she used every bit of her body and emotion to convey the deep sentiments of the song. You could hear a pin drop during her performance (it was that good!) and she got a well deserved rousing applause at the end of it.
4) The French Circus Company & The Nigerian Dancers: Between the acrobatic dancers of Le Farfaidas Dance Troupe from France & the Magento Dance Troupe of Naija the choreography was world class. Although the French troupe dusted our home grown dancers, only because they offered an experience that had never been witnessed at a Nigerian concert, between the sexual dance in a bath tub (yes! there was a bath tub on stage & the french dancers simulated love making, while the entire audience got hot and bothered), the soaring height defying acrobatic performances and the elaborate costumes. The Le Farfaidas troupe held the audience spell bound to the very end.
5) P-Square, Iyanya, Flovour, 9ice, Naeto C & Jozi were not missed: These artists were on the bill to perform but for what ever reason they didn’t show up. And guess what? No one cared! The artistes that performed, Waje, Banky W, Timi Dakolo, Tuface Idibia, Ice Prince, Praize, Mo Eazzy & Zaina only performed as collaborations, not taking away from the fact that it was very much Darey’s night.
Between the stunning visual effects, choreography, out of this world stage, drama filled mix of music and theater & amazing pyrotechnics, this was hands-down the best concert I have been to in Nigeira. World Class standard. Mr Art-Alade has set the bar and is so far ahead of his time it’s unbelievable.
To get a feel of the show, check out pictures below: