So so sad…another actor loses his life to drugs.
Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead of an apparent drug overdose today in his Manhattan, New York apartment. Police said Hoffman who was 46, was found on the bathroom floor and pronounced dead at the scene. According to CNN, Investigators found two bags of what is believed to be heroin inside the fourth-floor apartment, law enforcement officials said.
Philip Seymour Hoffman had been clean from drugs for 23 years but relapsed in 2012 and has been on a downward spiral since then. He was a celebrated actor and an excellent one at that, winning the Academy Award for Best Actor in 2006 for his role in Capote, one of his most recent roles was in Hunger Games where he played Plutarch, the head game maker.
His family has released a statement which says,
“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving,” Hoffman’s family said in a statement. “Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers.”
Hoffman was last seen alive at 8 p.m. Saturday. He was expected to pick up his kids on Sunday, but didn’t show up, the official said. Playwright David Katz and another person went to the apartment and found him dead, the official said.
A needle was in the actor’s left arm, and eight empty glassine-type bags that usually contain heroin were found in the apartment, law enforcement sources told CNN. The bags were stamped with “Ace of Hearts” and “Ace of Spades” — street names for the heroin, the sources said.
He is survived by three children and his longtime partner, Mimi O’Donnell.